Developed by ArcTouch for CBS Interactive, and previously only available for the Apple iPad, the new Star Trek PADD app version 2 is now optimized for all iPad, iPhone, and iPod touch devices, including the new iPhone 5, and the iPad mini. The app features a rich database of information, full screen images, actual sound effects from the series, and an authentic LCARS experience of being in the Star Trek universe.
“Our team implemented a focused chroniton particle generator to open a temporal wormhole to the 24th century,’ said Captain Eric Shapiro from ArcTouch. ‘We condensed 20 billion gigaquads of data about aliens, planets, and technology into a databank and created an app to access it.”
“The PADD app provides beings from every quadrant of the galaxy with the ultimate mobile “Trekkie” experience, including access to data spanning from Star Trek: The Original Series through to Star Trek: Enterprise and the related movies of The Original Series and The Next Generation. The app features a rich database of information, full screen images, actual sound effects from the series, and an authentic LCARS experience.”
The Official Star Trek PADD (Personal Access Display Device) immerses fans in a rich interactive database of Star Trek information and images with an authentic reproduction of the LCARS style interface introduced in the Star Trek: The Next Generation series.
The PADD provides access to the official Star Trek database from StarTrek.com of aliens, ships, places, technologies, and episodes. The app includes a true reproduction of LCARS, the computer interface commonly used in Starfleet and the United Federation of Planets during the 24th century, and includes familiar computer sound effects and voice.
Updated Database, Siri Integration, and More!
- Updated databank with over 170 new entries, such as Gorgan (possibly the last known inhabitant of the planet Triacus), and enhanced data and images to many existing entries.
- The main PADD screen now has a button marked MESSAGES that shows communiqués from Starfleet Command.
- Starbase Intelligent Response Integration (Siri) for voice-activated searching.
- Subspace “push notifications” allow Starfleet to notify users about enhancements to the PADD databank.
- Full screen databank images.
- Live updating of databank content, which is delivered over terrestrial wireless channels and appears automatically.
- Enhancements to terrestrial data feeds from Facebook and Twitter.
- Under 50 megaquads of data for initial download stream. (Using the lingo of 21st century earth, the app can now be installed over a 3G, 4G, or LTE connections, without requiring WiFi.)
The Star Trek PADD app is now available in the App Store