Star Trek: Discovery was nominated for a Hugo Award for the episode “Magic to Make the Sanest Man Go Mad,” written by Aron Eli Coleite & Jesse Alexander, and directed by David M. Barrett. The episode was nominated in the Best Dramatic Presentation, Short Form category.
As the crew attempts to let loose at a party, Harry Mudd triggers a time loop that repeatedly destroys the ship and kills the crew in an effort to learn the secret of the spore drive and sell the Discovery to the Klingons.
- Black Mirror: “USS Callister,” written by William Bridges and Charlie Brooker, directed by Toby Haynes
- “The Deep” [song], by Clipping (Daveed Diggs, William Hutson, Jonathan Snipes)
- Doctor Who: “Twice Upon a Time,” written by Steven Moffat, directed by Rachel Talalay
- The Good Place: “Michael’s Gambit,” written and directed by Michael Schur
- The Good Place: “The Trolley Problem,” written by Josh Siegal and Dylan Morgan, directed by Dean Holland
The winners will be announced at Worldcon 76 in San José, California, on August 19, 2018.