The Star Trek: Deep Space Nine documentary which was mentioned by Ira Steven Behr back in August 2016 at Star Trek Las Vegas, has now launched an Indiegogo campaign. The campaign in it’s first day raised their goal of just under $150,000, which is the minimum they’ve calculated necessary to complete post-production, license all necessary music and footage, and release the film. The more money raised will help get more great DS9 moments into the film. Here are the details from the Indiegogo page.
Star Trek: Deep Space Nine first aired in January, 1993 well over a year after the death of Star Trek creator Gene Roddenberry. When compared to The Original Series and The Next Generation, Deep Space Nine was written off as too “dark,” “edgy,” and “the black sheep” of the Star Trek family, a show that did not fit Roddenberry’s vision of the future. But someone was still watching as the show lasted seven seasons. Now, over twenty years later, fans all over the world are rediscovering Deep Space Nine and embracing the show with an enthusiasm rivaling the affection they feel for any other Star Trek series. Critics are even calling the show the Jewel in the Crown and the best of the Star Trek franchise. A devoted sci-fi fan might rightly ask themselves; “What the hell happened?” Our documentary film, What We Left Behind: Looking Back at Star Trek: Deep Space Nine, will take a detailed look at this historic series and consider the reasons Deep Space Nine went from a family outcast to a Star Trek mainstay. The film will also contain a “what if” segment in which the original writers brainstorm a theoretical 8th season of the show. Spearheaded by original show-runner Ira Steven Behr, directed by Adam Nimoy (For the Love of Spock), and with a handful of key interviews already ‘in the bag,’ the #DS9Doc now needs YOUR HELP to reach completion by finishing filming, editing, and post-production.
Here’s the current list of Deep Space Nine actors that are committed to the project:
Also involved… 5 of the DS9 series writers put pen to paper, to map out the first episode of a mythical season 8. We will reveal more about the writers room as the campaign progresses. Behind the camera, this documentary will be produced by the team from For the Love of Spock, including director Adam Nimoy, producers David Zappone, Joseph Kornbrodt, Kevin Layne, Kai De Mello-Folsom, and editor Luke Snailham.
DS9 Doc are also offering some great rewards for people who back the film. Here are a few of them:
- $5 – Production Video Library
- Exclusive access to an online video library that we will be updating though the production of the documentary with new interview clips, works-in-progress and other updates.
- Your name will also appear on our DS9 website backers page.
- $15 – Now Streaming…
- Be one of the first people to watch the completed film with early access to the digital stream of the film.
- Plus access to the Online Video Library throughout production, and your name on our website.
- $25 – Lapel Crew Pin Set #1
- Created exclusively for this campaign, this set of 5 Officially Licensed Star Trek lapel pins feature Captain Sisko, Kira, O’Brien, Worf and Ezri Dax.
- This is a stand-alone perk.
- $35 – Available on Blu-Ray and DVD
- Physical copy of the documentary in a BLU-RAY & DVD COMBO PACK with exclusive cover artwork only available to Indiegogo backers.
- Plus, access to the early digital stream and online production video library.
- $50 – Bragging Rights
- Proudly display the films poster on your wall, after all, this film has your name in the credits! In this bundle, we are adding a beautiful full sized one-sheet of the poster (ok, so we don’t have the design of the poster finished yet, but we assure you, it will be great).
- We will add your name to the film’s official rolling credits!
- $80 – The Freedom Fighter Bundle
- With this perk you can get your hands on the t-shirt that Nana Visitor first debuted on stage at the San Francisco 50 Year Mission Tour.
- This wonderful Officially Licensed shirt features the face of our favorite freedom fighter on soft black cotton and comes in sizes ranging from Small to 2XL Oh yeah, and you get the Blu-Ray/DVD, and the Poster
- $300 – LA Screening Package
- Want a one-of-a-kind experience? Join us for our LA premiere screening of the film and after-party with the creative team, and perhaps even some of the talent.
- Travel/lodging not included, date TBD around completion of film (estimated in late 2017 or early 2018).