Paramount Home Entertainment will be releasing a director’s edition of Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan on Blu-ray, June 7, 2016. This will be the first time the director’s cut has been made available on Blu-ray.
Here is the press release for the new edition.
Director’s Edition of Classic Star Trek Film Arrives on Blu-ray™ for the First Time Ever
STAR TREK II
The Wrath of Khan
Debuting June 7, 2016, Blu-ray Includes Digitally Remastered Film, Plus a Brand New Documentary on the Making of the Fan-Favorite Movie
HOLLYWOOD, Calif. – Captain Kirk and the crew of the Enterprise will boldly go where they have never gone before when STAR TREK II: THE WRATH OF KHAN Director’s Edition arrives for the first time ever on Blu-ray June 7, 2016 from Paramount Home Media Distribution.
As part of the 50th anniversary celebration of the Star Trek franchise, this classic film has been digitally remastered in high definition with brilliant picture quality and will be presented in both Nicholas Meyer’s Director’s Edition and the original theatrical version.
The Blu-ray also includes a brand-new, nearly 30-minute documentary entitled “The Genesis Effect: Engineering The Wrath of Khan,” which details the development and production of this fan-favorite film through archival footage, photos and new interviews.
In addition to the new documentary, the STAR TREK II: THE WRATH OF KHAN Director’s Edition Blu-ray is bursting with more than two hours of previously released special features including multiple commentaries, original interviews with William Shatner, Leonard Nimoy, Ricardo Montalban and DeForest Kelley, explorations of the visual effects and musical score, a tribute to Ricardo Montalban, storyboards and much more.
Captain Kirk’s Starfleet career enters a new chapter as a result of his most vengeful nemesis: Khan Noonien Singh, the genetically enhanced conqueror from late 20th century Earth. Escaping his forgotten prison, Khan sets his sights on both capturing Project Genesis, a device of god-like power, and the utter destruction of Kirk.
STAR TREK II: THE WRATH OF KHAN Director’s Edition Blu-ray
The Blu-ray is presented in 1080p high definition with English 7.1 Dolby TrueHD, French 2.0 Dolby Digital, Spanish Mono Dolby Digital and Portuguese Mono Dolby Digital with English, English SDH, French, Spanish and Portuguese subtitles. The disc includes the following:
- Director’s Edition in high definition
- Theatrical Version in high definition
- Commentary by director Nicholas Meyer (Director’s Edition & Theatrical Version)
- Commentary by director Nicholas Meyer and Manny Coto (Theatrical Version)
- Text Commentary by Michael and Denise Okuda (Director’s Edition)
- Library Computer (Theatrical Version)
- The Genesis Effect: Engineering The Wrath of Khan — NEW!
- Captain’s Log
- Designing Khan
- Original interviews with DeForest Kelley, William Shatner, Leonard Nimoy and Ricardo Montalban
- Where No Man Has Gone Before: The Visual Effects of Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan
- James Horner: Composing Genesis
- The Star Trek Universe
- Collecting Star Trek’s Movie Relics
- A Novel Approach
- Starfleet Academy: The Mystery Behind Ceti Alpha VI
- A Tribute to Ricardo Montalban
- Theatrical Trailer
Pre-order from Amazon US – Released June 7, 2016