Back in September we mentioned the Enterprise In Space Project. The article can be found here.
The Enterprise In Space team have a design contest running to design a science-fiction-inspired orbiter that will be flown in space. The winning design will be chosen from the contest. That design will then be built and flown into orbit on a rocket carrying an educational science payload before returning to Earth.
- Design a ship that is beautiful
- Design a ship that you would like to fly in if it were built in full scale
- Design a ship that will inspire students who will have their experiments on-board
- Design a ship that expresses the spirit of wonder of science fiction, as you see it
- Design a ship that will be practical with adequate internal volume
- Design a ship no larger than 8-feet long, 8-feet wide, and 6-feet tall
- Design a ship that expresses the future
- Design a ship with bilateral (left-right) symmetry
- Don’t design a ship that is too thin or narrow in any location
- Don’t design a ship that looks like any ship from major films or TV series
- Don’t design a ship with anime or cartoon styling
- Don’t design a ship with steampunk styling
How to Enter:
Limit one entry per person, per email address and per household, for the duration of the contest Period, regardless of method of entry. Entries may be made by a team of up to four persons, but only one person from that team may submit the entry, adhering to the same rules as single person entrants. Entries made by teams should list all of the persons who are part of the team, and include their contact information. Entries received from any person, email address, or household in excess of the stated limitations will be void. All entries become the property of the Sponsors and will not be returned. Entries will be acknowledged at Sponsor’s discretion.
Design Submission Requirements
A submission package must include:
- One to five isometric views, submitted in jpg, gif or png format
- One to five in-flight artistic concepts, submitted in jpg, gif or png format
- Design must demonstrate bilateral symmetry
- Top, bottom, front, aft, port and starboard views, submitted in jpg, gif or png format.
- Include the checklist and a signed statement of originality provided to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Submittal guidance from Enterprise In Space will be provided upon request. Such requests must be submitted at least one week prior to the end of the contest entry submission period, and must include both the entrant’s contact information and a time when the entrant will be available for consultation. Any requests that do not meet these requirements will be disqualified.
Your design submission must be in either, .jpg, .png or .gif electronic formats and may not exceed 10 MB in size.
Any design to be submitted must be wholly original in concept and not a derivative of another party’s copyrighted work. Note that this explicitly includes prohibition of nacelles behind a disk.
You can use the design contest form to send your entry to Enterprise In Space or mail it to:
1020 Cleveland St.
Woodburn, OR 97071
The Contest Rules can be found here
Entries must be received by November 27, 2014 when the contest ends.
For more information about the contest visit the website.
Source Enterprise In Space